Split Rock Lighthouse


Split Rock Lighthouse, located on the North Shore of Lake Superior, was built in 1905 after 29 ships were lost in one night on Lake Superior. The U.S. Coast Guard retired the lighthouse in 1969. But every November 10, the beacon of Split Rock shines its light in memory of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on November 11, 1975.